Sunday, April 8, 2012

Conference Time – Part 2 – Know Your Budget

Happy Easter. What a wonderful celebration – the celebration of a RISEN SAVIOR. It never ceases to tug at my heart strings to think of all the wrong I have done, still do and will do; yet, He still loves me completely, unconditionally and amazingly. I hope that you have had time to spend with our Wonderful Savior today and I hope that you will continue to thank Him for the gift of His life to gain our eternity.

Conference Time – Part 2 – Know Your Budget

You’ve made the list. You’ve done the early prep work. Now what? This part is ongoing. You need to know it before you ever arrive at the conference and you will use it throughout the conference. It is … your budget. Know your budget and your limitations. It would be great if we could walk into a vendor hall and buy whatever we wanted or felt led without thinking about what it will do to our checkbooks. But, for most of us, that is only a dream (and for our husbands – a nightmare). Know what your budget is. What you can spend on conference weekend or conference day. Be realistic.

I have 2 numbers. There is my ideal number – I would be thrilled if I walked away from the conference with this amount as my total spent. It is the amount that I have tucked away, put aside, etc and have set as my goal. If I spent this – I don’t make any adjustments. It works without working me. This number is my goal.

The second number is my “I can make it work if I have to” number. It might mean PB & J more times than normal before our next pay period, not getting my nails done (I wish I still got my nails done. LOL), no date night with the hubby, no lunch play dates next week, etc. Let’s look at this a little closer. I said it is the I CAN make it work if I have to number. That doesn’t mean – I spent it now I have to scramble for it. It means that I have reasonably looked at everything and know that I CAN make this number work but the next week might not be the most fun or the most ideal. As managers of our homes, these are choices that we sometimes have to make. My mom used to tell me that being a mom, a homemaker, and a wife was a balancing act. You don’t have to balance only your task but the means to make the tasks possible and as efficient as possible. Smart Lady huh?!

I have a friend who brings a check register pad. She puts her ideal budget number in the balance section on the first line and everything she spends – she deducts as she spends it. This is what keeps her within the ideal marker.

Watch out for the budget thieves… these are the things that aren’t homeschool curriculum or even treats for your children. They are the incidentals that we spend during our time at the conferences. These things include drinks (I have to have my ice tea – It makes the world a prettier place for Me.  ), meals, parking, hotels, extra gas. Often I hear others say that they have figured out what they can spend at the conference but forget to add in the expenses of being at the conference. Be realistic. There are expenses. I suggest you even overestimate that number. You can plan on paying 1.00 for your tea only to find out that vendor hall concessions charge 3.00. If you have tea at every meal – you have spent 9.00 instead of 3.00.

I know that for many budgeting is stressful. Especially when it comes to a big expenditure and curriculum and homeschool supplies can definitely be a large line item. However, I firmly believe that if you have this budget number ahead of time – It will relieve some of the stress. I have a good friend who once told me that she could deal with anything as long as she knew what she had to deal with. Budgeting ahead of time is knowing what you have to deal with. It empowers you to make wise choices. It motivates you to make decisions that would benefit your family and please the Lord. It isn’t a scary thing – it’s a safety thing.

Setting the budget – sometimes I start with an ideal number based on what I think I can pull together and I have to make adjustments along the way. If I am using money that I have earned from giving music lessons and a student gets sick. Their money can no longer be counted upon for my ideal budget. Life is full of circumstances and circumstances often call for adjustments. Get a goal, work toward that goal, and be thankful for the opportunity to make the proper adjustments for your family.

Take your time. Pray over your budget and think it through seeking God’s guidance. We’ll cover part 3 next week. I pray that God reveals Himself to you this week and that you are granted the time to prayerfully consider this face of “conference preparation.” May you be blessed with hugs and kisses from your children and may they bring you smiles and joy. Thank the Lord for the gift He has given you – He has given you the name that is so sweet to hear…”MOMMY.”

No comments:

Post a Comment